Thursday, March 8, 2012

Sri Lanka Lose in the Finals, World Series Cricket

Sri Lanka have lost in the finals against Australia. However I will confess despite a comprehensive win in the second final, I always had a lurking feeling at the back of my mind, that Sri Lanka will lose and lose they did.  One can philosophize and say that victory and defeat is part of the game, yet I find that teams from the subcontinent i.e India, Pakistan and Lanka invariably fail outside the sub-continent in winning. at crucial junctures. There are odd victories, but they are just flashes in the pan.
 I do not wish to discuss the defeat, but highlight a basic trait in the sub-continent  of throwing the towel. I wonder if it has anything to do with the rule of the British over the sub-continent for 190 years. the British were good rulers, but the people of the sub-continent and Lanka accepted their rule without a whimper. This must be one of the dichotomies of world history where  350 million people allowed themselves to be governed by just a 100,000 Britishers.
This attitude of accepting the inevitable is an eastern trait. Maybe it has something to do with the doctrine of attributing everything to fate. Thus that extra effort required  to win and annihilate an opponent is just lacking in the Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists of the sub continent. I wonder if anybody has thought of the defeats in cricket overhttp://yield2me.com/-59055.htmseas with this thought in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment